The Mistakes of our Forefathers

  

  This book was the first one I've DNFd this year I believe. I just couldn't do it guys. So this review is going to be short. I really didn't like this book. I tried to like it up until 50% and I just couldn't do it. I'll give you a few reasons why this book didn't resonate with me. 
   First things first,  Nico didn't scream alpha to me. You know there are characters where the author manages to make the alpha literally be felt through the pages? Well that's what I'm looking for usually when I'm reading a shifter book and there is an alpha who is throwing around these claims of being strong and able to do all this stuff. Well Nico wasn't checking those boxes for me. He didn't seem respected by the people around him and the other alpha in the book definitely didn't seem like he thought he was either. It felt more like it was being said but not acted upon. Another thing, since he was being set up to be with a woman who we find out is also an alpha it was weird to not get that vibe from him. Idk, the demeanor just wasn't there for the title for me. 
   Secondly, there was too much unnecessary talking and actions. Like all the time Maddy kept going back to the bar... why? Not necessary. Continuing to highlight the mom and how much she was a bigot,  unnecessary. There was too much pitfalls that didn't feel like it warranted the reveal. Like ok l, she's a female alpha,  great but in order for us to find that out we went to different cities in Florida, a history lesson and to Sweden... like why? This felt like it could have been summed up in a few chapters not like... the entire first half of the book. Which the book didn't have to be 600+ pages either. 
    Lastly,  I felt no connection to the relationship between Maddy and Nico. I feel like I'm being told about their relationship instead of seeing it happen. Which is weird considering we spend most of the time in their perspective. The blank holes in the nights was weird and the all of a sudden " I love you" s didn't feel authentic. I feel like the author was telling me this is how they should feel after all this time but it didn't feel like the characters themselves felt it. Like I don't need her having them bang every night but like, did they sleep in the same bed? Are the banging nightly, like what is going on. 
    Overall I gave this a 2 out of 5 stars just to be nice but really it's a 1 for me. Honestly and truly didn't enjoy this. The spice was not doing it for me at all since I didn't believe the characters wanted it. So 0 out of 5 there for sure. I would NOT recommend this to anyone honestly. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I A Furry?

End of The Month Wrap Up- September '23

The Cliffiest of Cliff Hangers