Dragons!! Oh my!!


   I want to start this review by saying that I liked this book. A three star from me is average.  Like I don't hate it but it's probably not one that's going to be super stand out in my memory. With that being said, I have this book a 3. Mainly because I have some issues believing some of what happens. I like the storyline and seeing Jenna have to reconcile with the fact that she's actually what she's been trained and conditioned to kill. The relationship she has with her brother dives through this whole story. It's beautiful. I can completely relate to her with her love of the sea as well. I live on the coast so seeing,  smelling and just being near the ocean has been ingrained in me since birth. But.... after she meets the dragons and everything that happens after is.... not as believable for me.  So this will have spoilers just FYI. Skip to the last paragraph of you want to avoid spoilers. 
     So, why do I say it's unbelievable? Well I think that the actions by almost everyone is not enough to warrant to reactions they caused. They don't seem that deep... if that makes sense. Like for example, Jenna latches onto each person she meets and just trust them. As someone who was raised her whole life to dislike dragons enough that she joined a group whose whole purpose was to kill them,  she didn’t really bat an eye at trusting Simeon. She whole heartedly distrusted the person who she actually had proof of wanting her to survive,  Kipp, and trust someone who she knew murdered a Knight. It was kind of strange to me to see that transition. The fact that she help that grudge against Kipp for a long time (storywise) and then like dropped the draws the next moment he explains himself was also interesting. I thought their story was going to carry into the next book before she chose between Kipp and Simeon. But no, she just decided to twist him after he explained what happened. So I understand the whole soul mate thing but she'd been fighting it this whole time only to give in, in like .5 seconds. Sybil I could understand.... kinda. I don't see why she decided to attack the humans when the fault lied with the dragons being subdued. Instead of trying to take over all dragons and have them live a pure life not in hiding,  she attacks humans. Which left me with.... why? Like, even if you destroy them, how does that serve you? Nothing will change other than a lot of people will die. Idk, the motivation for some of the things just wasn't enough for me. The only other issue I had was the fact that we keep hearing of how strong Jenna and Simeon are but have nothing to base that on.  They got handled by Sybil handily. Nothing that anyone has done was convincing. Kipp was barely convincing as being strong enough for his reputation but more so than the rest. Instead of just talking about being strong, it would have been nice to see it in action. I'm unsure if Jenna can even fight at this point,  despite being a Knight. 
    After all of that, why would I want to continue? Well the story is interesting. I want to know more about the characters and see if we learn more about where the shadow dragons came from! We have the fall out from Sybil being deposed as well as Jesse now being a Captain with the Knights. I wanna know what happened with Simeon, now that his mate is dead. Well the Sea Dragons change their minds about Jenna? Will she get stronger? There is defibrillator a lot of positives about this series and I would recommend it to others!
     Now to talk about the spice.... unfortunately there wasn't really much. There was one tiny scene that wasn't very descriptive so don't look for too much of that in this book. I give the spice a 2. It's there and slightly descriptive but that's it. It was like maybe 2 short paragraphs. Like this review is longer than the scene was. Hopefully there is more in the next book. Overall this book was a 3 for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I A Furry?

End of The Month Wrap Up- September '23

The Cliffiest of Cliff Hangers