The Devil You Know

   

   This book is quite heavy. There are a lot of things that are touched here and I want to take the time to discuss them a little bit in this review. I want to premise it by saying that I did enjoy this book but I had to take it in doses so it did take me awhile to finish this book. The main things I want to discuss can be triggering and to an extent touched me deeply. The child trafficking which is a main topic in this book is definitely a big topic and also morality. I think this book definitely test your morality when it comes to death and murder. So we will definitely touch on that, as well as some story points. 
       So first things first, let's talk about the child trafficking which is featured heavily in this book. As a parent myself this topic was very hard for me to read. This is every parents biggest fear. Someone taking your child and you never knowing what happens to them. This book made me think of all the ways that I could protect my child and all the places to be wary of. I definitely don't want to be restrictive with my child due to a book but the things that happened in this book are things that legitimately happen in real life to people. Adult or child, male or female, we must be vigilant and try to be safe. This takes me on to my next topic. 

     Zade is essentially a vigilante that takes matters into his own hands and begins to take out the people who he knows are apart of trafficking. He is going out and actively murdering and killing people. Which for most of us would be considered evil. He's taking a life and we've been raised as a society to see someone who could do these things as evil and crazy. Throughout the book, I never saw Zade as someone who was evil. Sometimes it takes someone who is willing to go to the same lengths that a bad person would go to, to keep said bad people at bay. I believe Zade would definitely not be termed a hero in the traditional sense of the word but to the people he encounters in this book, he definitely is. 

      The final thing I want to discuss is the murder of Gigi. This was something that interested me from the very beginning. So much so that at the earliest indications (34% for me) I was guessing who the murderer was. I won't spoil here but I just want to say that I was right. It's so scary knowing that Gigi knew who her killer was and that she knew days leading up to her death that he was going to kill her. Again this makes you want to be aware of your surroundings as well as the people who you associate with. The situation was very convoluted and affected so many people. The fact that no one was able to put 2 and 2 together to figure out who the murderer was before Adeline and Daya were able to 75+ years later is very telling. 

      Finally, I'd give this book a 4.5 out of 5. It was that good. I love morally gray characters and things that make me question. It also made me think about my life in general and anything that touches you enough to do that should be shared. The spice was definitely a 5 out of 5. The characters are written so well that when things finally get going....whew. Flames all over the pages!! Prepare yourselves when reading this!! I'd definitely recommend this book!! As an aside I want to make a prediction about who the betrayer was at the end. If you don't want to know stop reading now!! I think it's either Max or Claire (Mark's wife). Heck they could be in cahoots with each other!! I can't wait to find out in the next book!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I A Furry?

End of The Month Wrap Up- September '23

The Cliffiest of Cliff Hangers