Hooked - Review

    

    

This was a very unique take on the classic story of Peter Pan. For once Peter was not the good guy! He wasn't even the villain that we were all secretly rooting for...he was just...bad. So was Tinkerbell. I really enjoyed this since it was such a refreshing take on all the characters. They all made their appearances of course. The lost boys, Smee, Crocodile and of course Hook. They were all present but seen with such different eyes that I was able to step into the story and marvel at how things went. Wendy of course was the main focus of the story and through her we see all the characters. While I was hoping that she was going to have a little bit more backbone she still managed to shine as the star of the story. She was able to show that she had a little bit of back bone at the end of the story and man was I happy that she did. Hook was the MMC in this story and with his accent (I listened to the audible version) he was just there to sweep all the ladies off their feet! Peter was made to seem as the big bad in this story and man did he haunt everything and really made you not like him as a person. I liked that the author did this. Though I will say that this made Hook seem less like the villain that the story made him out to be. Yes he kidnapped Wendy but Hook was just so blind to everything that it was a little comical at times. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be but I definitely found myself looking at him like...come on dude. He didn't feel like the mastermind that you think would have everyone scared. Which I guess played into the hands of Crocodile. I won't spoil what happens there because that was a nice reveal. I really enjoyed that. I didn't see that reveal happening, I really thought that it was going to be another character than it was.
    The spice in this book was nice. It wasn't like oh my gawd amazing but it was good. I would give it a 3 out of 5. It wasn't too much and it made sense in the story. I would recommend this book to anyone who is wanting a refreshing retelling of a classic story. Overall I give this like a 3.5, I want to give it more but I just didn't believe Hook as a bad guy. I think he just seemed a little too out of control of things. Like if he had some surprises of his own to reveal then he would have seemed more in control. The way he was surprised by some of the betrayers I think is what did it for me. This was still a really good read and I am moving forward with this series. I can't wait to read more refreshing retellings!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I A Furry?

End of The Month Wrap Up- September '23

The Cliffiest of Cliff Hangers